Information and pictures of aston clinton buckinghamshire
The Oak public house in Green End Street, Aston Clinton, near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire.
Guide to Aston Clinton Buckinghamshire
A charming village situated between the towns of Tring and Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire county in the United Kingdom, Aston Clinton lies at the foot of the Chiltern Hills about 38 miles to the north west of London.
The Distant Past: The settlement probably grew up as a crossing point of 2 ancient pathways (the Roman Akeman Street and the pre-historic Icknield Way) which survive as roads in the village. It turned into a Saxon settlement when the Romans left, and 2 Saxon funerery grounds have been discovered in the village (on the site of the A41 bypass and on Tring Hill). The settlement which later became Aston Clinton was held by one Wlwen up until 1066 and the Norman invasion, and when the Domesday Book was compiled the village was recorded and was listed as Estone, which means "eastern estate". The village collected its contemporary title in the thirteenth century, when the manor was controlled by the family of de Clinton and it was named as Aston de Clinton.
The parish of Aston Clinton embodies about 3,800 acres of for the most part agricultural land which is crossed by the Wendover and Aylesbury sections of the Grand Union Canal. Aston Clinton lies at a crossing of the ancient trails of Akeman Street and the Icknield Way. The A41 at one time passed through the village, though it has now been redirected, relieving previously heavy traffic conditions.
The 2001 census for Aston Clinton informs us that at that time there were 1,402 residences in the village, with one thousand eight hundred and seventeen female residents, 1,725 masculine inhabitants, and a final total of 3,542 residents.
The Parish Church: It is widely thought that the first parish church of the settlement of Aston Clinton (St Michael and All Angels) was dedicated by the Bishop of Lincoln (Bishop Grosseteste) in about 1250, though the nave is perhaps from as early as 1100. Next to the south entrance is a record of former rectors of the Parish, the earliest dating from 1232.
Quick Facts: The population of Aston Clinton is 3,682, the area of the parish is 3,809 acres, the postcode for the village is HP22, the phone code is 01296.
Anthony Hall: Among Aston Clinton's protected buildings is the Anthony Hall, which was given to Aston Clinton by Sir Anthony de Rothschild an affluent benefactor. It is situated at Thirty Five London Rd, Aston Clinton and is a Grade II listed building, it was erected by George Devey in about 1884 and was used as the village hall.
Village Pubs: Aston Clinton has several pubs which you can visit including the Bell, the Partridge, the Rothschild Arms and the Oak, more have shut down over the last twenty years or so, such as the Bull and the New Inn.
Aston Martin Aston Clinton the Link? Lots of people will not know that the renowned car make, the Aston Martin took the Aston part of its name from Aston Clinton. This occurred after co-owner Lionel Martin did brilliantly in a car race on adjacent Aston Hill, named the Aston Clinton Hillclimb, and marked his success by utilizing the name for his brand. A celebratory plaque can still be seen at the historic site of the trials.
Green Park Centre: A great facility for local people, the Green Park Centre allows school children the opportunity to engage in some superb adventure activities, and also offers grown ups some conference facilities, sporting facilities, teambuilding and outdoor education. The centre stands in 80 acres of attractive woodland & parkland just a short drive from the larger town of Aylesbury and roughly around a 1 hour drive from the centre of London. The Green Park Centre is located in Stablebridge Road and at one time belonged to Sir Anthony de Rothschild a affluent patron of Aston Clinton, who had a manor house and beautiful landscaping on the park. in the region of sixty two participants can be roomed there and there is a swimming pool, sports pitch and sports hall. Eleven facilities are available for business meetings with space for up to 200 people.